Sunday, September 4, 2011

I choose Life! (Day 2)

Day 2 of the Homemaker's Challenge is all about giving LIFE to your home. It's about realizing actually how much influence we as women have on the mood/tone of our home and family. It's part of what we were created for. Not only can we give life physically; by making, carrying and baring tiny people; but also by giving spiritual/emotional life to our homes and families. 


I thought about some ways that I can bring more life to our home. Here are some things I came up with:
Music


Music creates so much atmosphere! I love to clean to music, relax to music, have fun to music. It just makes whatever I'm doing that much more enjoyable. It definitely sets the mood. So, I'm going to try to have nice background music on more often to create the atmosphere that I want my home to have: one of peace and thinking on the Lord. Check out two of my favorite CD's; one by my friend Melissa Schworer and the other by my sister-in-law, Rachel Reed (Rachel Garcia at the time ;)







Smell


If you read my previous post, you know that I'm obsessed with perfume, but I'm really just obsessed with scents in general. I got a Scentsy warmer for my bridal shower from a friend and I love it! I want to get a widdle one for my bathroom and use the one that I have more often. I love walking into my house when it smells "simply irresistible" or like a "flirtatious kiss" and think it would bring more life to our apartment. 




Plants




Since I'm not ready to make babies yet, I can bring literal life to our home with plants! I love plants! Plants, animals, nature in general. We're not allowed to have pets here in our apartments. Not even a fish! I asked. Makes me so sad. But I AM allowed to have plants, I just don't really have any indoor ones and my outdoor ones died - cuz they like water... and Kayla likes to forget. 




Attitude



The last and most important thing I thought of to improve on is myself. I can keep the apartment spotless or cook a gourmet meal every night, but the attitude with which I get it done is what will  really bring life to our home. Like the Bible says in 1 Corinthians: 


  "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."





I have to remember why I cook and clean and launder and vacuum instead of just getting caught up in everything I have to do and then having a bad attitude about it. And this is the "why" that I came up with: I cook and clean and launder and vaccum to create a home that is comfortable for my family (my husband) to live in... and if I'm doing it with a bad spirit and a "look at everything I have to do for you" attitude then I'm not making a comfortable place for us to live in at all. I'm doing just the opposite. 


Now for the Martha Challenge:



... Ta-Da!

Cleaning out the fridge is always an adventure right? 

"Hey I forgot this was back here"

"Wow, what did this used to be?"

"Hmm...I know it's a tomato, but it's the wrong color..."

It actually wasn't TOO bad, but it was good to get things all organized so I can see better what we've got in there. Here it is all organized:




Freezer Before:




Freezer After:




It was suggested to use 2 TBS for every quart of hot water to wipe down the inside. So I did. Seemed to work. Don't know if it was any better than just plain hot water, but hey... it's clean either way. 


This post is linked up at: {Homemaker By Choice}
                               and
                              At the Well





Pin It!;

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Kayla... you are very sweet :o) Thank you for stopping by my blog http://graciouslyathome.blogspot.com! How long have you been married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just celebrated our 1st anniversary in August! It's been so much fun! Still getting the hang of things though and love marriage/homemaking advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great blog!!!

    I also love smells...the simple things that make me feel blessed.

    I am your newest follower! Feel free to stop by my blog and follow our journey as well.

    Have a blessed day!

    Jen @ http://gricefullyhomeschooling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Lisa! I enjoyed looking through your www.moretobe.com site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful blog!
    I love the smell of baked goods wafting throughout the home...even it's just a candle melt and warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! I love all of your ideas for bringing life into your home. I also love scents...particularly the Gold Canyon Candles. Have you tried them. Amazing!! I definitely need to find a local distributor! I also need more plants in my home...but I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep them alive...eek! Can't wait to follow along with you through these challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love :)