Saturday, October 1, 2011

Two Hats

For those of you who don't know, my husband is a Christian filmmaker (and a handsome one at that ;) and just finished his first feature length film, Two Hats! It's a very exciting time for us. It's something he's wanted to do since he was a little kid and now his (our) dreams are becoming a reality! He had the idea for this particular film about 3 years ago and has been working on making it happen ever since! One of my favorite things about Andrew is that if he wants something to happen he makes it happen. He has big dreams but with those big dreams he always has a plan of action.

In April of this year Andrew and I flew across the world (13 hours!) to make a documentary on a missionary family serving in Papua New Guinea, the Brad Wells Family. They are personal friends of ours and we felt they'd be the perfect family for the film. They are inspiring, exciting, good looking, hard working, and the setting of PNG is gorgeous yet rugged. It was an incredible experience! We want this film to make it possible for others to experience the inspiration, burden, sights and feelings that we got to experience in this third world country with these first class missionaries. 


The people of PNG are unlike any other I've met. So accepting, so joyful, zero "bubble", very laid back. They laugh and smile very easily. That was one thing that impressed me the most. Though the world, the flesh and the Devil are in every corner of the earth, it seems the world has a far weaker hold on people there. There is no TV, bill boards, malls etc. and the difference was very evident to me. They seemed to have a joyfulness that I don't see in many here in the States. The teenagers there don't have this to-cool-for-school attitude. They sing LOUD, they laugh, they wear weird frumpy clothes and they DON'T CARE. So refreshing.


Laundry Time



My friend in Palipini, a village that we visited for a day. We couldn't communicate but she held my hand the whole day. I picked us some flowers for our hair. She kept looking at my wedding ring and touching it. I don't know her name but I miss her. She is one of my favorite memories of the trip.



This little guy peed all over her while she was standing there. She didn't seem to mind. 



This is Leela. I love Leela! She has a beautiful flower garden in front of her house and brings a huge beautiful bouquet of flowers every Sunday for church. With wedding planning/budgeting still fresh in my mind all I could think was "Wow! That bouquet would cost a fortune to buy in the States. And she brings one every week!" 




The Wells ladies + Torrey and myself. This is the missionary family that we went to film minus their oldest son and Mr. Wells. They are amazing people. 


Drew and I ready for a day of shooting!


I wish I could share all the pictures. There's a story and memory to go with each one. I thank God for the opportunity to help my husband with this project and that he allowed us to experience and capture what we did in our time there. 

Two Hats is scheduled to be released on DVD on November 11, 2011. Our primary goals for this film are that it

                                            1) Glorifies our Lord and Savior

2) Makes Christians more aware of missions and what it's like to live on a mission field

3) Brings the lost to Christ

4) Burdens Christians to go to the field themselves 

Please help us spread the word by grabbing our Two Hats button in my sidebar! 


This post is linked up at:


and







Pin It!;

9 comments:

  1. Welcome Kayla to NOBH and thank you for linking up this wonderful post! WOW! Not only is the Well's family inspiring with their missionary work and heart for the PNG people, but you and your husband's work sounds just as inspiring! I found this post so uplifting and I hope to see you and your husband's film when it comes out on DVD. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Tracy! :) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your comments on PNG. Very refreshing. Looking forward to seeing the film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla...welcome to NOBH...
    I loved your photos, especially the ones of Leela.
    What an encouraging post.
    Missionary stories and biographies have had a huge impact on my life.
    Thank you so much for sharing...
    ~Kara @ The Chuppies/NOBH

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic opportunity, Kayla. Thank you to you and your husband for sharing this with us. Welcome to NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great experience to see a different part of the world. Thanks for sharing and letting me have a glimpse of this amazing adventure you had:) Welcome to NOBH

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing trip - sounds like a great experience for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Dorie! I enjoyed checking out your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for this film! The previews left me wanting to watch more. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love :)