Thursday, March 1, 2012

Christian Film Festival 2012

We're back! 
San Antonio was amazing! I felt like I came away having learned so much. The festival was great, but there were just lots of things God was teaching me through people, books, movies, having time to be away and think- Airplanes have a way of making you think. Me anyway. The world seems so far away. I look down at all the little houses and think of all the lives represented and all the problems and responsibilities and stresses that seems so small and distant. It reminds me how big my God is and that I'm just one little person in this world. It's good for me to remember it's NOT all about me ... and MY problems and MY life and MY friends. It's all about Him and that's why I'm here - to point people to Him. So anyway, those are the thoughts that kicked off my trip and it just kept getting better. I guess I should mention for those of you who don't know, my husband and I were in San Antonio over the weekend at the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival in which our documentary Two Hats was featured.



We saw some great movies over the course of the weekend. Some powerful messages that really spoke to me.   One of the first films we saw was Captivated, a documentary on using technology wisely and being good stewards of our time. We can spend hours facebooking, tweeting, youtubing, videogaming, watching tv, and texting. Not bad things necessarily, but this documentary challenges its audience to go out and DO something. LIVE. Like... real life! Instead of spending your life playing farmville, maybe spend your life .... farming! haha. Seriously though, I know it's true of me anyway. I could get so much done if I limited my computer/TV time (as I sit here blogging ;). So I'm really going to work on that. Maybe one blog post a week and limited facebook time - that's my goal.


Another great one we saw was IndoctriNation (which took the award for Best Documentary Film).





 This documentary brings to light the sad truth about our public schools. I was blown away by some of the things in this film. It really makes you think. Why would kids think that what they learn at school isn't true? Why would kids think that their teachers might be pushing an agenda? Why should kids question authority when they're taught to respect and obey authority? Collin Gunn asks the question "is it dangerous to keep our children in a place where the name of Christ is expelled or should we keep our children in the public schools and try to take back some ground" (more or less. couldn't find the exact quote) and sets out to find an answer. If you're debating on whether or not to put your kids in public school I'd highly recommend watching this one.  


And then of course - drum roll please- TWO HATS (Best Great Commission Film)  :)


Picture


 K, so I may be a wee bit biased buuuuuuut honestly every time I watch it, it speaks to me in a different way.  This time through I really just enjoyed reliving our trip there through the movie. Remembering the sights and smells, the cool people and my frizzy hair. All of it. It was such an amazing experience and we have a movie to remember it by! Pretty cool. If you're not familiar with my husband's movie, Two Hats, it's a documentary on the Brad Wells family of 9, missionaries to Papua New Guinea. One of our goals for this film is that after watching it people would feel like they've been on a missions trip to Papua New Guinea, met the family, seen their ministry and have hopefully been inspired by it. Order your copy here: http://www.pngdocumentary.com/index.html


March 30-April 1 is the official weekend for Two Hats National Movie Night! Please consider hosting a showing at your home, church or other venue!!! Here's how: http://www.freedomfilmdistributors.com/


Overall, such an amazing trip. 
San Antonio River Walk




In the main auditorium


Two Hats on the big screen


Best Great Commission Film- Hooray!

Our Jubilee Award 




Some stolen pics from Doug Phillips' blog ;)



Best of Festival Award: Courageous



Our entertainment for the weekend




It was HUGE



Receiving our award. Andrew dedicated it to missionaries serving around the world.


Sorry this is the longest post ever. We had a great time and learned a lot. Also, we came home to a flooded house. Woop woop! Thanks, Devil, for trying to discourage us. Not workin' ;)


Linked up at: At the Picket Fence, SomeGirlsWebsite, Domestically Devine Tuesdays


Pin It!;

15 comments:

  1. So proud of you guys! Great job! :-)
    Is the house ok now? What flooded?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! :) Yeah insurance will help a lot. It's kind of a construction zone right now but it'll all work out. It was something under the kitchen sink that broke while we were gone. Fun ;)

      Delete
  2. It was great to meet y'all last week! Really enjoyed your film too, can't wait to show it to the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours too, JC! We hope to see you again sometime!

      Delete
  3. Very cool. Love seeing the pictures. :) Gonna have to get a copy of Indoctrination. Looks like a pretty good film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. It was very interesting!

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy for you guys! We watched Two Hats at church a few weeks ago and were all impressed. Great job putting it together and great job showing what a missionary's life is all about.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you liked it! :) It was really just the Wells that made it such a great story. They are inspiring people.

      Delete
  5. I was inspired by Two Hats...and your blog :) Tim showed it at church about a month ago and it's still being passed around the church to families who didn't get to make it that night. Thanks so much for putting it together! Y'all did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad you guys enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  6. thanks for sharing, I will definetly have to look into some of these movies!
    www.newlifeovernight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Amanda! :) I'll go check yours out!

      Delete
  7. Hey there, so nice to hear in a nut-shell about your trip. Glad it was a maturing experience. Getting to leave your comfort zone and seeing other ministries is an eye opener... and yes, we humans are tiny things and God and His glory is all we're here for - most people think that sounds boring, but as I'm continuing to learn, it's the best thing in the world :) Growing more and more each day, love you Kayla. It was really cool getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer! :) I was going to put our Starbucks pic on here but... ;)

      So glad you have a blog now. Your house is so cool!

      Delete
  8. What an awesome experience for you! I have not seen Two Hats but will have to look into it now! Thanks for linking up with us over at NOBH!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love :)