Friday, August 10, 2012

Summer '12 Nuggets

Recently I've been able to travel with my husband more as he works around the country on ministry videos and it's been a blast! We both love to travel, experience new places, different churches & ministries and meet new people. The last couple of trips I've gotten to tag along on have been to the DC area (Crossroads Baptist Church) and a Summer camp in Michigan (CoBeAc). I tend to read a lot more when I'm traveling as there are no dishes to wash in the down time so I just finished the book, Through Gates of Splendor. It is a book by Elisabeth Elliot about 5 missionary men who gave their lives to reach the hostile Auca Indians. So good. I've known the story for years, but reading it all in their own words is inspiring. 

God has been teaching me a lot over the past couple of months and I thought I would share some of the nuggets gleaned from the COEBA conference in VA, Family camp in Michigan and the book Through Gates of Splendor.

COEBA Conference:


"While we're down here ringing our hands, God is sitting on His throne where He's always been, doing what He's always done, being who He's always been - the one and only God." - Pastor Kenny Baldwin (COEBA)

"You'll love Jesus like you should when you decide to love Jesus like you should." - Pastor Kenny Baldwin (COEBA)

"I'm just a nobody tellin' everybody about somebody who can save anybody" - Pastor Kenny Baldwin (COEBA)

"God is more interested in why we do what we do than just what we do." - Bro. Simmons (COEBA)

"There are some things that are spelled out in the Bible as God's will. We don't need to pray about it or search for it. Do it." - Dr. Don Sisk (COEBA)

"Read the Bible like you eat fish." - Japanese saying from veteran missionary to Japan, Dr. Don Sisk (COEBA)

"Pray earnestly. Pray specifically." - Dr. Don Sisk (COEBA)

"Get off Facebook and get your face in The Book." - Pastor Kenny Baldwin (COEBA)

"It's easy to sit back and say what you would do or you could do, but it's hard to justify what you haven't done." - Bro. Bennett (COEBA)

"Sometimes we get more concerned about being fundamental than we are about being Biblical" - Bro. Michael Baldwin


Family Camp:

"Loving one another is here ___. Preferring one another is here---. That's what makes a marriage work." -Mr. Bill (Camp CoBeAc, he used hand signals ;)

"Wealth is not measured by your bank account; it's measured by contentment." - Pastor Monte (Camp CoBeAc)

"Learn to lower your expectations. It makes life a lot more enjoyable." -Pastor Monte (Camp CoBeAc)

"Life isn't perfect, but it isn't Hell." -Pastor Monte (Camp CoBeAc)


Through Gates of Splendor:

"Strange -or is it?- that childish hopes should be answered in the will of God for this now?" -Jim Elliot

"And how do I know it is His counsel?...No visions, no voices, but the counsel of a heart which desires God." - Jim Elliot

"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." - Jim Elliot

"I have one desire now - to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it." - Ed McCully 

"I am praying definitely for two things: first, that the Lord will give us wisdom in our relationship- even in the business of letter writing. Second, that as long as we've got anything to do with each other, that each of us will be an influence upon the other for closer fellowship with the Lord." - Ed McCully to his girlfriend, Marilou

"When life's flight is over, and we unload our cargo at the other end, the fellow who got rid of unnecessary weight will have the most valuable cargo to present to the Lord." -Nate Saint

"Marj was as convinced that this [manning the correspondence radio] was her share of missionary work as Nate was that flying was his." -Elisabeth Elliot

"Every time I take off, I am ready to deliver up the life I owe to God." - Nate Saint

"We shouted at each other about the thrill of holding a line, the other end of which an Auca held." -Nate Saint after one of the first successful 'gift drops'

"May the praise be His, and may it be that some Auca, clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ, will be with us as we lift our voices in praise before His throne. Amen." - Nate Saint

"God's command 'Go ye, and preach the gospel to every creature' was the categorical imperative. The question of personal safety was wholly irrelevant." -Elisabeth Elliot

"As we have a high old time this Christmas, may we who know Christ hear the cry of the damned as they hurdle headlong into the Christless night without ever a chance. May we be moved with compassion as our Lord was. May we shed tears of repentance for these we have failed to bring out of darkness. Beyond the smiling scenes of Bethlehem may we see the crushing agony of Galgotha. May God give us a new vision of His will concerning the lost and our responsibility." - Nate Saint

"I want to be free of self-pity.It is a tool of Satan to rot away a life." - Barbara Youderian (Widowed wife of 'Roj' Youderian)

"Never you mind; when we get to heaven, I'll show you which one is our daddy" -Stevie McCully (3yrs) consoling his crying baby brother, born weeks after the massacre

"God is God. I dethrone Him in my heart if I demand that he act in ways that satisfy my idea of justice." -Elisabeth Elliot 

I debated whether or not to blog this or just have a month's supply of FB statuses ;) I hope there was something here that helped you like it did me. Sorry I've spoiled all the best parts of the book for ya but it is even more powerful in context, so it's still worth the read!

Some pics of our trips 

Crossroads Baptist Church and the "Michael Baldwin Choir"


Andrew and I at a Broadway show


Times Square


Road trip to NYC with the Baldwins


Andrew filming family camp in Michigan


A curious camper


My friend, Miss Jane who can shoot like nobody's business. She's also good for a daily dose of wisdom :) 


The Bach Family, with whom we had the pleasure of sharing meal time every day. So glad we got to spend so much time with them! Wish you could see Molly's face! She's such a cutie!


Linked up at:


WIPWednesday


Pin It!;

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing so much from your summer...those quotes are just great!! (love Elizabeth Elliot) Jumping over here from Far Above Rubies link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Be Not Weary, and so glad I did. . . wow. there's a lifetime of blog posts in the wisdom of the heroes of the faith. May we know God so well that someday someone somewhere will be quoting us. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing all these gems. My favorite is that wealth is measured by contentment. Unless we are truly grateful and content where we are, it won't matter how much financial, physical, relational, and spiritual wealth comes into our lives. Thanks, too, for sharing at NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I had a chance to even read your post, you snagged me!! I read about you just under your picture and you said: "I love connecting with older wiser Christian women who have wifely/homemaking/Christian womanhood advise so please leave a comment or email!" That got me!! I was 33, when I couldn't find a Titus2 woman. I wanted someone older in my life so bad. I decided I had to become one myself so that I could be one someday. Well, here I am...several years later ;-)

    I absolutely loved your post. I loved your quotes. I wish I could hear that choir sing!! Wish I could meet you :-) You seem so sweet.

    Thanks so much for linking up with me at WholeHearted Home Wednesdays over at Haven of Rest. I hope to see you again as I just really look forward to hearing from you again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love :)