Sunday, January 11, 2015

5 Things I've Learned in my First Week of 2 under 2




This past week has flown by and I hardly feel like I've had time to let the 2 kids thing really sink in (or the fact that my baby is already a week old :( With so much family in town and a husband who works from home, I haven't had much time alone with the two of them - just a few hours here and there- but in the little time that I've had these two little guys together I foresee some changes that I think will come along with our growing family. After one week of being a mommy of two, here are 5 adjustments that I feel may come along with this cuddly little addition to my world:

1) Tag Team it with Hubby




I think I'm going to need to get a lot better at asking Andrew for help. With Jonathan I've got pretty much everything handled. We've got a schedule down and going through my daily routine with him comes pretty naturally now. I rarely ask Andrew for help and I think it will take some getting used to, but I can see this will take more of a team effort now that I'm out-numbered. I will need to be better about letting him know how he can help instead of letting myself turn into a frazzled stress monster while doing it on my own. We have "life PARTNERS" for a reason!

2) Lower house expectations




With more kids comes less time and with less time, priorities must be reevaluated. I think that I can make life a lot easier on myself if I bump spotless home down a few on the priority list. House work is kind of my default when there isn't anything else on the schedule and it's constantly nagging at the back of my mind when there is. I can already see that I have 2 options in this area:

     -Get comfortable with some mess happening along with life and learn to not let it stress me out
OR
     - Keep it high on the priority list and be a stressed out mom who doesn't have time to play hide and seek after dinner

3) 100% All-In Mommy




I like the saying

"Children aren't a distraction from more important work, they are the most important work."

It's easy to agree with but hard to keep in mind day in and day out. With one I felt like I could kind of do my own thing and have Jonathan along for the ride a lot of the time. My perspective has changed quite a bit since having two and unless I want to be frustrated about all the time these guys suck up, I'll just have to remember that there isn't anything else that's more important to do with my time anyway. They do take up a lot of time and that's exactly what my time is for at this point in life. Going to embrace motherhood 110%!

4) Wake up early




When it was just Jonathan I could get away with the toddler wake up call, but I can see that it will be very beneficial for me to have an hour or two before the kids are up to set the tone for the day. With that time I can get ready for the day - physically and spiritually, plan out the day's activities, meals etc, do a few dishes and wake the boys up at a consistent time. I think this will be really important for keeping my sanity - the calm before the storm ;)

5) Pray

This one is kind of a continuation of #4. Prayer has been on the front of my mind first thing every morning this week because I'm so keenly aware of my need for God's help right now. I'm sleep-deprived, still sore and recovering from giving birth and trying to figure out this two kid thing - it's pretty easy for me to remember this important part of the day right now. I know I'll need it just as much after I've got it together a little more. I will need His help every day to do a half decent job at this mom thing and it'll be important for me to ask for it every single day.

These are just a few of the things I have figured out after the first week of having two little kidlets and I know I will have 100 more next week. It's a constant learning process. Do you have any advice on transitioning from 1 to 2 kids?



Pin It!;

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet article! I remember what a transition it was, going from one to two... You really learn what sacrifice and laying down your life means. I wrote a post similar to yours at the time that you might enjoy. :) http://candleinthenight.com/2011/08/10-things-ive-learned-in-10-days/

    Congratulations on your new little one and best wishes during these first, most difficult months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like great lessons to implement. The tag team with hubby has been most important at night when we have had a newborn. It helps us both to get a little sleep, rather than both of us being up all night and trying to function during the day as well. I stopped over from the Modest Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had two under two for 7.5 months now. I was afraid at first about how I would handle it all and I'm still learning. The house gets messy. I feel like I'm running from one child to the other to make them happy all day. I do get up earlier. I don't have anyone close to help and have only been on maybe 2 dates w my hubs in the last two years. I've had to realize that they will cry and at times they will both cry at the same time. In the last six months I've had 5 bouts of mastitis because I had an over supply of milk which is just as saddening as an under supply. I've had to realize that my second child may not progress as fast as my first because of the divided attention. And know that sandwhichs or cereal for dinner every once in a while is just fine. Pray pray pray !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love :)